Coconut Curry Lentil Soup
FROM OUR ARCHIVES
FIRST PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 2015
I was first introduced to this soup at The Watershed Center (retreat center in Millerton). I loved it. So colorful, healthy and most importantly...delicious!!
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes
Made from pantry staples, this spiced lentil soup will warm (and fill) you up. Make it an even heartier meal by serving it on a bed of brown rice. Vegan & Gluten-Free
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (or ketchup)
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- ½ tsp hot red pepper flakes
- 4 cups vegetable broth (I use chicken broth)
- 1 400ml (approx 14 oz) can coconut milk
- 1 400g can (about 14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1.5 cups dry red lentils
- 2-3 handfuls of chopped kale or spinach
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Garnish: chopped cilantro (fresh coriander) and/or vegan sour cream
In a stockpot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat and stir-fry the onion, garlic and ginger until the onion is translucent, a couple minutes.
Add the tomato paste (or ketchup), curry powder, and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, diced tomatoes and lentils. Cover and bring to a boil, then simmer on low heat for 20-30 minutes, until the lentils are very tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Make-Ahead: May be cooled, frozen in air-tight containers, and re-heated over medium-low heat.
Before serving, stir in the kale/spinach and garnish with cilantro and/or vegan sour cream.
See original recipe here: http://vegangela.com/2014/01/09/coconut-curry-lentil-soup/
Leave a comment